New running questions from the Instagram @RunEatRepeat story box! Today we’re talking about a new runner training for their first half marathon, how I lost weight, how long you train for a half or full marathon and more!
Question from this round:
- I’m a beginner runner training for my first half marathon in November. What are your best tips to get prepared?
- How did you get so thin? Running? Diet? Lifestyle change?
- Hair care tips!! Your hair = goals!
- Have you ever run RnR Nashville half marathon? If so, any tips?
- How many weeks do you train for a half marathon and a full marathon?
- Is cereal soup?
New Runner Training for a Half Marathon:
1. I’m a beginner runner training for my first half in November. What are your best tips to get prepared?
Right now you have plenty of time to get a great base so you’re ready and feel confident when you start your half marathon training plan. Or you can consider this time part of your training, and gradually build up your mileage and fitness.
Since you’re not running high mileage yet you have more time to spend on stretching, conditioning, strength training and anything else that can help you be your best, healthiest self.
My Weight Loss:
2. How did you get so thin? Running? Diet? Lifestyle change?
It’s a combination of exercise, diet and changing bad habits that were causing me to gain more weight. The number one thing was exercise because it gave me a healthy hobby.
Then I changed my diet. At first it wasn’t balanced at all so I had a long time struggling with eating too little, different diets, counting calories… I tried it all.
It took a very long time but I finally started to learn about Intuitive Eating and listening to my body.
If you’re not familiar and have a history of trying different diets and not sure what to eat / how to eat – I highly recommend the book Intuitive Eating
I have a podcast episode about Intuitive Eating! Listen to the Run Eat Repeat Podcast on your podcast app – it’s free!
Run Eat Repeat Podcast Episode 25 – The Easy Way to Start Intuitive Eating
Hair Care Tips:
3. Hair care tips!! Your hair = goals!
Check out my favorite hair care products on Amazon here – Hair Products I Love!
4. Have you ever run RnR Nashville half marathon? If so, any tips?
No, I want to though! If anyone has tips on the Rock N Roll Nashville half marathon – please let me know and I’ll pass them on.
How Many Weeks Do You Train for a Half Marathon and Full Marathon?
5. How many weeks do you train for a half marathon and a full marathon?
For a half marathon the training plans you’ll find online are between 12 weeks and 16 weeks. For a full marathon the free training plans you’ll find online are usually 16 weeks to 20 weeks long.
To find a good half or full marathon training plan for YOU consider the following factors. Weigh how important each of these things are and how much they’ll impact your ability to run a great race.
Things to Consider When Looking for a Half Marathon or Full Marathon Training Plan:
- Your current fitness – How is your current fitness? Do you have a strong base? Are you coming back from a long time off? Are you a new runner?
- Your previous running experience and knowledge – Is this your first time training for this distance? Are you coming from the couch? Or a Couch to 5K program? Did you run in high school or college? Are you well informed on running best practices?
- Your health and injury history (any physical or mental factors that are relevant)
- Your running goal : Is this your first half marathon? Are you trying to get faster? Is the goal to qualify for the Boston Marathon or just finish with a smile?
- Your life / schedule / weather / etc – Do you have the time to properly train for a race? Do you have any big vacations or projects that will keep you from running? Are you living in the Arctic tundra and unable to run outside right now?
You’re going to be following a training plan for months so you want to be sure you trust it and that it’s appropriate for you.
If you’re new to running or running races – don’t just grab a training plan off Pinterest or a running blog (even this one).
I think it would be best for a new runner to get a complete half marathon (or full marathon) training guide book with a comprehensive run through of how to warm up, how much to run, tips on gear, nutrition guidance, hydration guidance and tips, best practices, common terms explained, etc.
Running can be fun! And having a good training plan that works for you will help make running a race super fun!!
6. Is cereal soup?
I took a poll in the @RunEatRepeat Instagram stories…
I think the final vote was No.
If you have a running, food or random question – ask!
You can DM me on Instagram or leave your question in my Instagram Stories [ so be sure to follow @RunEatRepeat ].
I post a box with a call for questions a few times a week.
You Might Also Like:
First Half Marathon Tips and more running Q&A
Half Marathon Packing Checklist
Run Eat Repeat Visors & Run Recovery Days Q&A