Sometimes, you just want to eat something warm and filling for lunch. (Anyone else sick of bland salads that somehow leave you feeling even hungrier afterward than you did before you started eating?)
That’s why we came up with this quick and easy skillet recipe that comes together in minutes thanks to using precooked turkey sausage and only two main ingredients after that: cabbage and apple. It all gets a flavor blast from Cajun seasoning and a kick of cider vinegar.
So hop on that lunch train with this quick and easy skillet recipe, courtesy of Lose Weight Like Crazy Even if You Have a Crazy Life!
Makes 4 servings (approx. 1 cup each)
Per serving: Calories: 264, Total Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 97 mg, Sodium: 1,404 mg, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 20g
1 lb. raw low-fat turkey andouille sausage
1 Tbsp. ghee (organic grass-fed, if possible)
3 cups shredded green cabbage
¾ cup chopped onion (approx. 1 medium)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 cups peeled, chopped apple
1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ cup sliced green onion (approx. 2 medium stalks)
How To Make It
- Remove the sausage from the casing (if your sausage did not come in casing, skip this step).
- Heat ghee in a large cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until browned. Remove to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Add cabbage, onion, garlic, and vinegar; cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until cabbage is tender-crisp.
- Return sausage to pan; add apple, Cajun seasoning, and salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Garnish with green onion and serve.
For more healthy eating news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!