Breakfast burritos (or breakfast tacos) tend to have the same types of ingredients in it. Scrambled eggs, maybe some small bits of potato, and typically a few slices of bacon. But you know what takes that burrito to the next level? Swapping out the bacon with chorizo.
Yes, really! While chorizo may not sound like breakfast food, it does give the burrito a flavor profile that’s out of this world. Since chorizo is a highly seasoned pork sausage, you don’t have to add extra seasonings to liven up your breakfast burrito. The cooked chorizo will just do it for you!
Can’t have meat? Use soy chorizo instead! Soy chorizo still adds the same kind of flavor profile you’re looking for.
Now that you know my number one secret for making the perfect breakfast burrito, here’s a recipe so you can make one for yourself right at home.
Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup milk
1/2 lb. chorizo
1 can black beans
1/2 cup shredded taco cheese
1 avocado, diced
4 Tbsp. salsa
4 burrito shells
Hot sauce, if desired
Butter, for cooking
How to Make It
- Whisk together the eggs and the milk in a large bowl.
- Heat up a pan over medium heat. When the pan is heated, run the butter on the pan until it is lightly coated.
- Pour in the egg mixture. Scramble the eggs with a wooden spoon until the eggs are completely cooked through (about 3 minutes). Remove the eggs into a clean bowl.
- If the chorizo is in a casing, open it up and crumble the chorizo into the already hot pan. Continue to break apart the chorizo into small bits, until the chorizo is cooked through (about 5 minutes). Remove from the pan.
- Stuff a burrito shell with 1/4 of the cooked eggs, 1/4 of the chorizo, a few scoops of black beans, 2 tablespoons of the taco cheese, some diced avocado, and 1 tablespoon of salsa. Add in hot sauce if you desire.
- Roll it up and enjoy! For extra deliciousness, toast the folded burrito on a pan to make the outside nice and crispy.
RELATED: The easy way to make healthier comfort foods.